Slow, heavy, majestic, daunting, foggy, crushing, heretic... The doom practised by T.B.D.L.B is so rich and original, that each of its listener could add many adjectives/superlatives for sure. This is definitely not your usual copy of Candlemass, Electric Wizard or Cathedral, but the natural leader of the french rising doom metal scene, who in tune with this music (slowly but with caracter) is just waiting to reveal its talent to all the world doomters . Just like musically, the guys also have a strong personnality, no consensual... Yesterday I interviewed ToS (guit) to get some fresh news, but shit I'm sorry to confirm that we'll have to wait about one year more for the 3rd album... Fortunaltely "blood for the bloodking" doesn't suffer from time passing, so we'll still survive until 2012 with this unholy masterpiece of true fuckin' DOOOOMMM !!!
* "The triumvirate of doom" (for the 2nd time a tour organised by three bands with dates in France and border countries) will be on the road again next week for 4 new dates, you must be pretty excited and impatient I suppose? Is this an opportunity to test new songs live? How did this collaboration was born ? Can you imagine it lasts much longer?
Hello Stephane, yes we're downright impatient to hit the road with our great friends from Children of Doom and Calliophis. This tour is really a story of friendship between us all, and it is really fun to tour together. It happened in quick exchanges of emails and beers to put this in place, and we all hope there will be other editions. We already have talks about a short week also in 2012 in Germany and other neighboring countries, we'll see in due course. For the moment we're gonna enjoy the coming week. Talking about playing new songs, we'll have at least one included in the set. After, maybe we'll test 2 or 3 more new things, depending on the inspiration of the moment...
* Question that you'll answer for the 343rd time but I ask it to you anyway, why so much delay between "blood for..." and the future new album, it's not the whole fault of the arrival of babies in "The Bottle family" ?!
No, indeed it's an explanation but not the only one. We have also changed our bassist after the release of "Blood ... ", our drummer went several times on tour with Pulmonary Fibrosis, a group of grind, our other guitarist has a schedule that changes often and it eats a lot of evenings, so that blew some rehearsal times. Then we've also had periods without much inspiration, or we stayed to drink beer rather than plugging in the instruments. Then with Bottle if you start going in circles on a component, it is not worth it, surely it will end in a bad or just average song; so it's better to have good time with friends, instead of killing our nerves while trying to find the riff after, that we can not find ... where maybe we'll find it the most naturally possible the following week.
* "Night of the Living Dead" , your song on the split ep, shows a certain change in continuity, the contrasts in your music seem more pronounced, can we expect this tendency for the next album? Can you tell us about some titles please? When is the recording planed and an approximative release date ?
"Night ..." may be a good introduction to what will be the next album. At that time (3 years ago) we wanted a "Blood ..." to really sound like a massive block. I think we've done our job pretty well, so for the next, we wanted something with more varied tempos, the slow parts even more overwhelming and more groovy parts as you can hear on the split EP. Well I say that ... but we compose naturally, and that the overall spirit of the whole. We should record by the end of this year again at Echoes Studios with a release planned for April.
* For how many more albums with Emanes does your contract last? Does your collaboration has evolved over time and if there was something you could improve in it, what would it be?
It's always been only a moral contract, there is nothing signed, no specific commitment, so we could not expect anything better. We record, emanate put out the stuff, we file a certain percentage of revenue, and that's it. I do not want to sign something where you see numbers in all lines, with royalties, cost per sale, the whole industry pisses me off to the highest point. There's just a mutual trust between Emanes and us, and it works fine. We're also in contact with an american label for a re-release of "Blood ... " and the next album; but it is still too early for me to tell anything more.
* Your participation at the DDF in Holland was certainly quite memorable ? The name of T.B.D.L.B. is known and respected in the doom scene, but the feedback in terms of concerts and festivals abroad are not really tangible, I suppose you can count on the next album to turn things on that side?
* For the next album should we still expect an artwork with mammary subjects ?!
I've got absolutely no idea about that at the moment, we'll see, keeping continuity in visual themes could be fun, but the fact to radically change could be cool too. We'll see ...
* You said in an interview for Doommantia that you prefered to do concerts and parties with cool people instead of people who are exclusively doom ... Does this mean that they are or at least a portion of them uninteresting, little open-minded, desperate or even despairing ?
Yeah ... our attitude is certainly too punk for much of the doom scene in general. You often see groups who take themselves seriously, who are well on their own with stage performances that stick in this picture, it bores me personally. I'm not saying these people are assholes of course, it's just we don't have fun in the same way.
* You're a pretty opened and fun-loving group, what do you think of some bands attitude on stage who banish any exchange with the public, do not any "encore" ...?
Bah this is what I said above. We played recently with Electric Wizard, which were housed separately, only the drummer spoke a bit to us, I found it rather disappointing. Then about their attitude on stage, not a look or a sign at the public, no word, no encore ... for people who have paid € 15/20 to see them, I find it very limited. But after this is not a matter of style. For example you take the doom / death metal, a style extremely cold, which I tend to get bored with, but when you see Ataraxie live by example, you understand that you do not need to draw the face to be super good live.
* You also wrote that you hate MDB, sad bands with sad lyrics ... Isn"t the word hate a little exaggerated, do not care would have been maybe more fair ? Instead, would you imagine Aaron S. write texts such as "sea, sex and sun"?
Again, I was talking about the live attitude. I travel to a concert for a good time, not to see the guys pull the mug. If they are not happy being on stage, then they can their place to people who really want and show envy to play and swing energy to the public. You see St. Vitus and MDB live ... this is not comparable. Yet the themes of Vitus songs are not necessarily happy, either.
* You're a big football fan, from OM (Olympique de Marseille) in particular, not too disappointed with the loss of the title? Should Lucho stay or should he be dropped like other not enough productive big salaries like Gignac, or Heinze?
Big fan, this is exaggerated. I was a big fan when I was a teenager, at that time OM was at the summit of Europe and they gave pleasure to the people. Now, I watch some games when it's interesting,but if nothing happens, OM or not OM on the field, I zap. Obviously, with nostalgia, it makes me happy to know that OM wins, but I'm happy for Lille, they deserved to win the title. Regarding players' salaries, it's so exaggerated ... I prefer not to ask myself the question ... while I galley by the end of the month after spending 50 hours a week on my PC to make 2 or 3 craps ... short !
* You're also a big fan of Tarantino, I love everything he did, but for me his masterpiece is the ultimate risk and to stay forever "Jackie Brown", what is your favorite?
Wow, hard question with having to choose one film in all his work. The narration of "Reservoir Dogs" is magical, the action of "Pulp Fiction", the approach to the theme of the 2nd World War in "Inglorious Basterds"and the awesome character of Hans Landa... I hope that his ultimate masterpiece will be his next film! hehe
* Hangman's Chair will soon play at the Hellfest, with the future new album hopefully it will be your turn next year, right? will you be there in 15 days?
Frankly, I do not know if that's such a great opportunity to play under a tent at 10:30 am ... After, it's sure that for the reputation of a band, being on the bill of Hellfest must be a plus. And I won't do it this year, I've been there the last 5 years, so if I have to make a fest this year, I would rather make one in a new environment, a new atmosphere.
* Who is the doom band that impressed you the most on stage? and all categories confunded ?
Without any doubt Saint Vitus for doom. After that I will just mention legends, with frontman knowing and doing what they want when they want with their audience: Motorhead, Metallica, Megadeth, Dark Tranquillity, Morbid Angel (well I'm waiting to hear the last album, because when I see the reactions ...) Kreator, Kiss, Alice Cooper ...
* Thanx a lot to you, you can end as you wish (merchandising, etc ...)
Thank you for the interest; for merchandising, it matters little you know, but you should just rather drink a beer with us when we pass on to you ! DOOM !